Loads of Laundry

A brief account of the things that happen in my life in between my many loads of laundry.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Very Busy

Things at the Because I Said So house have been very busy the past month. Taking care of 6 children is very exhausting. I thought I had a lot of laundry before. I forgot how much laundry small children generate. One of my two washing machines broke, so that makes things take even longer.

Everyone has mostly adjusted to the two new members of our family. We have settled into somewhat of a routine. They have visitation once a week with their parents. We generally have at least one kind of doctor visit every week. This week we add the dentist. The doctor visits should slow down now that they have been with us for awhile. There are a lot of initial evaluations that must be done. By the end of this month we should have a better idea of how long they will be staying with us. There are so many things I would like to say here, I'm just not sure how much I can say.

To those who read my blog and are about to begin the Thursday night classes, here are a few words of warning. First, if you are on any level an emotional person, bring some tissues with you every week. I managed to hold myself together every week, but that is probably because those closest to me say I have ice in my veins. (My husbands ringtone for me on his cell phone is actually "Cold as Ice" by Foreigner) He on the other hand, by the third week was asking if I thought there might be a week where he didn't cry. For those of us who have children and see them as an absolute treasure and blessing from God, it is very hard to comprehend how people can act like they do. Second, take everything they tell you and intensify it by a hundred and that might come closer to reality. I ran into a guy from my class one day during our visitation and we decided the class didn't exactly fully prepare us for the road ahead. He had some very intense kids placed in his home. The kids we have are actually easy compared to some of the kids they discuss in class. I guess there really may not be a way to prepare you for such an intensely emotional time like the first couple of weeks of placement. I must give them credit for trying I guess.

Now on a lighter note; We bought a Nintendo Wii.( I know I should put a link or something here, just not interested in that much work. You can Google it if you don't know what it is.) Normally I am not a big fan of video games, but I must say, it is cool. I like it because it is very interactive. My boys were sweating when they were done boxing. I also like it because those of us without well developed hand-eye coordination( like the 3 year old :) ) can play quite a few of the games. The big kids and dad had a bowling tournament and it didn't cost me $75 and asthma medication due to the cigarette smoke in the bowling alley. They had a great time and it really feels like bowling. It comes with a sports package that includes bowling, boxing, tennis, golf, and baseball. You also get to design your own character to play the games with. We have had to put a time limit on playing though because we found ourselves playing a little to much.
But we can all play together and have really been having a good time with it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Ooh! A Wii. Now there's an incentive.

Thanks for the tip. I'll pack some tissues, but this is one of the reasons I'm staying away from foster care. I just can't handle it. I'm a big believer in Luke 14:28. And I just can't build the tower y'all are building.

But I have great recipes for soup. So, that's a balance.

3/15/2007 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home